Principle 7 of the High Level Principles for Data Integration Involving Commonwealth Data for Statistical and Research Purposes requires that statistical data integration be conducted in an open and accountable way.
Integrating authorities can ensure they are operating in an open and accountable manner by:
- registering the details of the Commonwealth data integration project on the Public Register of Data Integration Projects;
- publishing relevant protocols and policies that are in place, for example cost recovery and/or fee for service protocols, data retention statements and governance arrangements;
- having regular audit and review processes to evaluate aspects of operations, for example, the effectiveness of physical, information technology and personnel security (see Data Security);
- stakeholder communication, consultation and collaboration; and
- being able to apply sanctions (as required) for data breaches in a transparent way.
For more information on the role of integrating authorities see:
- Drafting project agreements
- Manage datasets for the duration of data integration projects
- A protective policy environment
- Technical infrastructure and expertise
- Technical resources for integrating authorities
- The separation principle
- Transparency in operations